Stained Glass Walks and Talks
Through this summer programme of guided visits, members are given the opportunity to explore some of the hidden treasures of stained glass around the country. Local guides, often practising stained glass artists themselves, lead small groups along a fascinating trail of working studios, town and country churches and often less accessible stained glass sites.
SUMMER PROGRAMME 2016
'Andrew's Favourites' windows in and around Salisbury, Wilts – Saturday 16th July
An informal meet starting in Salisbury, taking in the beautiful and atmospheric Cathedral with windows by Gabriel Loire, Harry Stammers, Caroline Swash (partially heraldic), Burne Jones, much glass by Clayton & Bell and also Powell of Whitefriars, Ward & Hughes and other Victorian glass, and quite an array of Medieval glass. There is also the Chapter House with a Magna Charter, and the Cloisters where Turner sat and painted, then nearby the Church of St Thomas with its impressive medieval Doom painting, which spans the Cancel Arch. Windows in other churches are:
• A colourful Karl Parson, in Winterslow
• An early Andrew Taylor in West Grimstead (1967)
• 20th C glass, in St Marks Salisbury (need to research the artist)
• A 'Four Seasons' window in Rushall by Arthur Buss of Goddard & Gibbs.
• Possibly a visit to my studio depending on numbers (and transport) that sign up for the day.
Transport will have to be by car so hopefully that will work out. Salisbury is a small manageable city, it is relatively easy to park and the station is about 8 minutes easy walk from the Cathedral. There is a nominal cost of £6 for members and £8 for non-members.
Booking enquiries to Andrew Taylor (01380 813878; firstname.lastname@example.org). You can pay online (see below), or send a cheque payable to The BSMGP Trust to A. Taylor, 113 High Street, Littleton Panell, Wilts SN10 4EU. (Please enclose email address and phone number for a receipt and information updates, and s.a.e. for receipt and information sheets, where relevant.)
Queries to the organizer Andrew Taylor; email Walks or tel: 01380 813878 Please ensure that you supply a contact phone number.
Walks and talks retrospective
- Around Stamford, Lincs with Paul Sharpling
- Around Northamptonshire with Paul Sharpling
- Around Hertfordshire with Alf Fisher and Doris Rollinson
- Essex with Nigel Swift
- Herts and Beds with Alf Fisher, Doris Rollinson, Caroline Benyon and Helen Robinson
- Wellingborough and Oundle with Robin Fleet
- Kent churches with Keith Hill
- York Minster with Peter Gibson
- Fairford Church, history with Keith Munn and conservation with Keith Barley
- Wesley Chapel with Nigel McMurray
- Churches in Northampton with Paul Sharpling
- Photographing Stained Glass: a day in Norfolk with Rev. Gordon Plumb
- Walks in Oxford with Paul San Casciani
- Digital Imaging day with Derby University
- Carlisle Cathedral with Arthur Penn
- Henry Haig, walking around Shaftsbury viewing his windows
- Sherborne Abbey, John Hayward talk on making the West Window
- City of London, Churches and Livery Halls: walk with Alf Fisher
- Kent: John Trinnick, Pugin (St Augustineï¿½s Abbey) and Rosenkrantz windows, with Robin Fleet
- Piggots Hill Studio, Buckinghamshire with Joe Nuttgens
- City of London Churches with Caroline Swash
- Surrey with Peter Batts
- Berkshire with Peter Batts
- Oxford with Paul San Casciani