Location and Access
The BSMGP’s Library of books and journals on stained glass is housed at the premises of the Society of Antiquaries of London (SAL), Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BE, which is next to the Royal Academy, roughly mid-way between Piccadilly and Green Park Underground stations (Piccadilly, Bakerloo, Victoria and Jubilee Lines).
The BSMGP’s library consists of just under 300 volumes, which are available for reference by members of the BSMGP. In addition, the Society of Antiquaries library contains further volumes on the art. All books are included in the Society of Antiquaries on-line library catalogue at http://www.sal.org.uk/library/catalogues/. To search for the BSMGP collection, select 'Advanced Search', enter 'british society of master glass painters' as a phrase and select within Words from Notes Fields.
- Members of the BSMGP may use the SAL’s Library for reference, preferably by appointment through the SAL Head of Library and Collections.
- Research students of stained glass require a recommendation from their supervisor, and should make an appointment before a first visit; contact the BSMGP Librarian.
- Members of the public may apply to the Library for access for a limited period; contact the BSMGP Librarian.
- The Library is open from 10 am to 5 pm, Monday to Wednesday and Friday; use of the Library on Thursdays is restricted to Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries. The premises are usually closed on public holidays, during August, and between Christmas and New Year. Details of closures will be found on the Antiquaries' website.
- On arrival, BSMGP members will need to show their membership cards and sign in.
- The BSMGP Library is on closed access and SAL Library staff will bring the requested books to the library study area.
- Books may not be taken out of the library.
A staffed photocopying service for Library materials is available, subject to copyright and provided there is no risk of damage to the book. Researchers may use digital cameras to make copies for their personal use. Flash photography is not allowed. Photocopy requests and photography permissions should be addressed to the SAL library staff.