T  T  T
Arts and Crafts stained glass designers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterjones

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Arts and Crafts stained glass designers Reply with quote

A week ago I was on a “Jenkins” weekend in Reading and walked into Stoke Poges church. I was stunned by three windows and especially by the two in the north west corner of the nave. Looking at them I was confused by the dates: they did not look quite right for Christopher Whall, but I could not think of anyone else who could produce such glass soon after 1896. The excellent Buckinghamshire Stained Glass website put me right when I got home a day or so later: it was Louis Davis, whose glass I had not seen before. However, it made me realise that I needed some help with the relative dates of the various Arts and Crafts stained glass designers.

I have therefore put together the attached and thought I would put it here in case it was helpful to anyone else. Please note: it is just composed on Word, not on any sophisticated package, so it will not be exact to the millimetre. I have then saved this as a jpg. file.

The thin lines are life spans (I did not realise at the start that M E Aldrich Rope would go off the page!) and the thick lines are career lines. These are sometimes reported in a vague manner (“to the early 1920’s”) so are not to be taken too exactly. Three people have no career line; I do not have the information. Even life spans can be problematic (did Veronica Whall die in 1967 or 1970 – I have several references to each?). The order from top to bottom is chronological by birth, with pupils placed under their mentors.

I apologise for any errors (please let me know) and if there is a better table/diagram out there already, please let me know that as well.

Peter Jones

timeline.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.61 KB
 Viewed:  3837 Time(s)

timeline.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic     BSMGP Forum Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: