T  T  T
Help,unexpected devit like haze

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbeal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Help,unexpected devit like haze Reply with quote

Out of the blue ive started getting a light haze(like devit or bloom)on all the glass that comes out of the kiln and i havent changed any procedures whatsoever.

Ive been firing line work(tracing) on lamberts,polish antique,desag ME and some old hartley woods cathedral (all in same firing) and all has devitrified to a greater or lesser extent ,where as a week ago it didnt.So it cant be the glass.

The enamel im using is reusche DE 402 mixed with gum arabic, water and a small amount of universal medium(mixed just the same as ive done for years).Its also happened when ive screen printed stuff using different enamels and mediums(again all old reliable recepies).So it cant be the enamels.

Im using the same seperator as usual in the same kiln ,fired with the same schedule 1000-1170-30.

Moisture in kiln maybe?? Or possibly happless spiders have started making there home in there,im truley baffled ,ive been doin this for years and never had this happen before,any ideas would be greatly appreciated,dan.
tonybenyon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must think you're going insane which of course may well be the problem!

If the kiln had been damp, which most of us would have assumed, you would have warmed it up by now.

If you've fired unpainted glass and it still happpened it can only be the kiln unless without realising you've changed how you clean your glass or if there are fumes in the workshop corrupting the glass,such as HF acid, but I'm sure you would be aware of that.

If it still happens then change the plaster or whatever you fire your glass on.

If it still happens then you have something very weird in the kiln warming up and creating the fumes and I haven't a clue what that could be.

I've had weird happenings when firing individual types of glass but not with assorted types fired all at once - good luck!
danbeal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully it seems to of sorted itself but i did fire up kiln to 1500 f to try and burn off any mystery contamination that may of been lurking in there ......hopefully it wont return

good idea about firing unpainted glass tho,it would atleast eliminate or identify the enamel mix .Thats a cunning trick im gonna have 2 remember
Post new topic   Reply to topic     BSMGP Forum Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: