T  T  T
The Glass Prize 2013 winners announced

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crwyard

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: The Glass Prize 2013 winners announced Reply with quote

The Glass Prize 2013 winners

Three glass artist from across the globe have been honoured in The Glass Prize 2013 run by art glass suppliers Warm Glass UK, based in Wrington, North Somerset with three distinct categories for entrants to compete within.

The winner of the ‘Bullseye Glass’ prize 2013 is German-born artist, Anna Mlasowsky who won the $2,400 prize by impressing judges, Lani McGregor and Michael Endo, with her piece ‘Sound Visions’. Anna’s piece was chosen as “her piece used the intrinsic properties of glass powder and water to create an elegant expression of the unseen. Upon hearing of her win, Anna said: “I am very honoured to have been chosen as the winner as it encourages me to continue my experimental work and I am excitedly looking forward to the experience that I am being offered as my prize by Bullseye Glass.”

The judges also awarded a Highly Commended to Jennifer Halvorson for her piece “Bounty” as a close runner-up for the top award.

The ‘Artists’ prize was open to all glass artists regardless of experience and was judged by Alan Poole of Dan Klein Associates. Alan’s choice of winner was established glass artist, Cathryn Shilling with her piece ‘Static Movement’ which creates movement from static images embedded in glass. It is an inverted zoetrope, lit from within with the motion of the sprinter being seen by moving around the piece or by spinning the piece on its manual turntable.

Cathryn commented on her win as follows: “I'm really thrilled especially having seen how many entries there were this year and also because Static Movement was a real labour of love!” Her prize is £500 to spend with Warm Glass on products or classes.
Alan awarded Highly Commended to Max Lamb (‘Ebb’) and Graeme Thyer (‘Raku-Glass’) and made Special Mention of Erin Dickson (‘Window 2’), Wilmer Fernandez (‘Gift of Life’), Emma Garnham (‘To Those Who Have Fallen…’) and Robyn Townsend (‘Trapped’).

The final category was the ‘Student’s’ group which is voted for by the public and was won by Presiana Shisheva with her piece ‘Between Nature and Society…’
Presiana’s prize is a place on a highly popular one-day class at the Warm Glass Resource Centre studio. With classes throughout the year on techniques such as screen printing on glass, bead-making, glass casting and mould-making, Warm Glass UK has established itself as an expert in glass art courses as well as the leading European materials supplier.

Pippa Bluck, Warm Glass UK director said: “We are so pleased that this competition which is now in its ninth year, allows us to showcase some of the amazing work that contemporary glass artists around the world are producing. There are limited opportunities for them to display their work to a wider audience and we are delighted that with the support of Bullseye Glass Company, we can continue to offer this platform to them, with such amazing prizes to be won.
Anna, Cathryn and Presiana all created fantastic work and we hope that they enjoy their prizes.”

For further information, contact Pippa Bluck on 01934 863344.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     BSMGP Forum Forum Index -> Other notices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: