One Thousand Friends Appeal
Stained glass has a rich heritage and is also one of the most exciting forms of contemporary art. Recently it has been placed on the Heritage Crafts Red List of Endangered Crafts and we were principle advisors in identifying the risks we face.
This is a forthright appeal for your help in securing the future of our beautiful and historic art form.
Founded in 1921, The British Society of Master Glass Painters is the pre-eminent organization advocating for stained glass in Britain. Our members include historians, researchers, conservators, students and, importantly, many leading artists in contemporary stained glass.
Threats facing us:
- We have aging practitioners and a loss of opportunity for them to pass on their skills.
- The decline in dedicated educational courses.
- The decreasing use of contemporary stained glass commissions in buildings.
- The scarcity and high cost of materials.
This spurs us on to action through our appeal for One Thousand Friends of the Master Glass Painters Trust. Our ambitious plan is to raise very substantial funds from this campaign to make a real difference for the future of our art form.
- To inspire and support a new generation to enter the stained glass profession.
- To foster a resurgence in stained glass commissions and opportunities.
- To nurture a strong stained glass community.
How will the money be used?
- Work to increase diversity within the sector and encourage and assist young people through apprenticeships and work placements toward careers in stained glass.
- Establish a mentorship programme so that emerging artists have the support they need to help achieve their potential.
- Develop an outreach campaign to encourage architects and interior designers to use stained glass in new and historic buildings.
- Support regular stained glass exhibitions, competitions and opportunities including the foundation of a new prize at the British Glass Biennale in 2024.
- See our detailed plans for the future here.
You can help by:
- Making a donation to the Master Glass Painters Trust of between £1 and £50 (all contributions will help).
- Becoming a Member from £45 a year and receiving The Journal of Stained Glass.
- Becoming a Friend by making a one-off donation to the Master Glass Painters Trust of £50, £100, £250, £500, £1,000 or more if you are able to. All Friends will receive our emailed quarterly Newsletter that will include updates on our appeal. Friends who donate in excess of £500 will be recognised in our internationally respected Journal of Stained Glass and can receive a Patron of the Master Glass Painters Trust logo to include on their website. They can also access corporate support and initiatives.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to pursuing our vision with your help.