British Society of Master Glass Painters Touring Conferences
The British Society of Master Glass Painters has for many years run an autumn conference weekend exploring in depth the stained glass heritage of the British Isles. It attracts a vibrant mix of stained glass artists, conservators, restorers, historians, researchers and other enthusiasts giving members an opportunity to share their knowledge and experience in a friendly and informal environment. Conferences are planned and led by expert guides in collaboration with members whose local knowledge and connections lead to a fascinating and often unusual programme of events.
Enquiries to Annual Conferences
Autumn Touring Conference 2016
Wednesday 31 August-Saturday 3 September
The 2016 autumn touring conference will repeat the successful Wednesday to Saturday format of last year at Cambridge, but with coach travel rather than walking! We will be based on the campus of the University of Kent at Canterbury (UKC), the oldest of the city’s three universities, having been founded in 1965. Sitting atop University Hill, there are wonderful views of the Cathedral and the city. Extra nights can be booked both before and after the conference which may afford an opportunity to visit the cathedral as we are not going there, apart from the Conference Dinner on Friday night.
Our tours on the Thursday and Friday will take us to churches displaying glass from the late 13th century to the 21st century. We will visit St Augustine’s Ramsgate where Heritage Lottery Fund money has helped turn the church into a major attraction, featuring, of course, the Pugin designed glass made by Hardman of Birmingham. We shall also see the wonderful glass by John Trinick at Salmestone Grange completed over a 20 year period to 1958, the stunningly luminous Arild Rosenkrantz Art Nouveau Annunciation at Wickhambreux, 16th and 17th imported Swiss glass at Patrixbourne, the beautiful Arts and Crafts east window by Louis Davis at St Peter’s Broadstairs, which is also full of a superb series of windows by Clayton & Bell; Lavers & Barraud; Burlisson & Grylls; Heaton Butler & Bayne, and Powells.
We will also visit Otterden to see the Wilhelmina Geddes window and windows by Curtis Ward & Hughes, James Fisher, and Meg Lawrence. At Chartham there is glass of c. 1294, with some additions by James Bell to designs by Street, and windows by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, and Curtis, Ward & Hughes. At Faversham we will see glass by Willement, A.L. Moore, Clayton & Bell, Lavers, Barraud & Westlake, and Martin Travers. At St Dunstan’s Canterbury there are 20th century windows by Aikman, Lawrence Lee and John Hayward, and a 21st century window by David Griffiths.
There are more delights to be had at other churches which at present await confirmation that a 55 seater coach can reach them, and that also sets the limit on the number of delegates so book now, as they say, to avoid disappointment.
Annual Conference retrospective
- 2015 - Cambridge
- 2014 - Yorkshire East Riding with Ann Sotheran, Peter Cormack, Tony Benyon and others
- 2013 - Worcester and Gloucester organized by Robin Lunn and Roy Albutt
- 2012 - Glasgow - West of Scotland with Peter Cormack and Iain Galbraith
- 2011 - The Wirral and over the waters with Tony Benyon and others
- 2010 - Winchester with Mary Calle and others
- 2009 - Tayside and the Kingdom of Fife guided by Peter Cormack
- 2008 - Bristol and Wells Guides and speakers Tim Ayers, Geoffrey Lane, Steve Clare and David O'Connor.
- 2007 - Lincoln Guides and speakers Jim Cheshire, Penny Hegbin Barnes, Tom Küpperand the Rev. Gordon Plumb.
- 2006 - Manchester Guides and speakers: Dr David O'Connor, Penny Hegbin-Barnes, Wendy and Barrie Armstrong and Neil Moat
- 2005 - Edinburgh Guides and speakers: Peter Cormack FSA Hon FMGP, Dr Elizabeth Cumming, Douglas Hogg FSA(Scot), FRSA, FMGP, Dr Sally Rush Bambrough, Prof. John Hume OBE
- 2004 - Shropshire and Staffordshire Guides and speakers: Peter Cormack FSA, Hon. FMGP, Martin Harrison FSA, Hon. FMGP, Jane Gray FMGP
- 2003 - Exeter Guides and speakers: Peter Cormack FSA, Hon. FMGP, John Hayward FMGP, Dr David Evans, Mr Andrew Johnson
- 2002 - Aberdeen Guides and Speakers: Peter Cormack FSA, Hon. FMGP. Mike and Jennifer Jane Bayliss AMGP
- 2001 - London Guides and Speakers: Caroline Benyon FMGP, ACR, Tony Benyon, Sarah Brown FSA Hon. FMGP, Dr Donald Buttress, Caroline Swash FMGP, Peter Cormack FSA, Hon. FMGP, Kathy Shaw AMGP, Graham Jones FMGP, Dr Michael Peover
- 2000 – Cork Guides and Speakers: Dr Nicola Gordon Bowe, Debbie Dawson,